Robust, persistent, evergreen, clump-forming perennial herb <1.5m tall. Large arrow-shaped shiny green leaves. White, erect, funnel- shaped ‘flower’ (Aug-Jan, occasionally other times of year) of central yellow spike and white outer modified leaf.
Swampy areas, damp wasteland, pasture.
Seeds mainly spread by birds. Flowing water, animals also play a role. Local spread by rhizomes. Dumping of garden cuttings.
Smothers ground, preventing regeneration of native flora. All parts of the plant poisonous to humans, pets and livestock.
Exclude all livestock from site when treating. Begin clearance at top of catchment.
1. Slash tops and dig out tubers.
2. Cut and stump paint (1g metsulfuron + 100ml glyphosate + 10ml penetrant/1L).
3. Weed wipe (1g metsulfuron + 150ml glyphosate + 10ml penetrant/1L).
4. Overall spray Jun - Sept (3g metsulfuron + 150ml glyphosate + 10ml penetrant/10L). Two applications may be required early in the season to prevent flowering, then later to control daughter rhizomes.
5. Overall spray in spring - late autumn (5g metsulfuron + 10ml penetrant/10L).
Caution: when using any herbicide or pesticide PLEASE READ THE LABEL THOROUGHLY to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.