Erect grass forming dense mats in wetlands, water edges. Shiny, bright green leaves soft, <600mm long, each blade ending in an abrupt point. Leaf edges rough to touch. Distinctive brown seed heads (Feb) <1.5m, long-lived seeds.
Any wet ground: wetlands, stream banks, lake edges.
Seeds spread by wind and water. Rhizomes break off, root in damp ground; spread on machinery, fishing gear, animals.
Rapidly forms dense mat in wet ground, crowding out most native plants.
Glyphosate gives excellent results, limited follow up required. Do not spray during winter dormancy. Begin control programme at top of catchment. Easy to eradicate.
1. Remove by hand, including all roots, rhizome fragments.
2. Weedmat, leave for 3-4 months.
3. Weed wipe spring - autumn (200ml glyphosate + 2ml penetrant/1L).
4. Spray spring - autumn (100ml glyphosate + 20ml penetrant/10L (non-selective) or 50ml haloxyfop + 50ml crop oil/10L (selective).
5. Spray aquatic sites spring - autumn (100ml glyphosate/10L, use glyphosate formulation approved for use over water).
Caution: when using any herbicide or pesticide PLEASE READ THE LABEL THOROUGHLY to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.