Dense, spiny, vigorous, scrambling shrub. Previously grown as hedge. Brown, scaly stems with spines. Oval leaves green above & scaly brown on undersides. Hanging clusters of small, white fragrant flowers (Mar-May). Reddish-orange, drupe-like fruit.
Shrublands, forest margins, roadsides, wasteland areas.
Vegetative spread, bird & mammal spread seed.
Forms large dense stands, smothering regenerating forest & is a problem in forest interiors & light gaps. Displaces native species up to mid-canopy level.
Extremely hard to kill, repeat treatments needed.
1. Dig out with machinery if possible. Do not mulch.
2. Cut at ground level & stump paint with undiluted Tordon BK, cover stump with plastic & leave for 1-2 years. Follow up likewise on suckers.
3. Cut stump application (200ml glyphosate/1L or Vigilant gel).
4. Bore & fill at ground level (20 ml undiluted Tordon BK per hole). Best done in autumn. Inferior to cut stump but eliminates need to dispose of stems, which can be cut & left at a later date.
5. Spray (5g metsulfuron /10L) on small plants and regrowth.
Caution: when using any herbicide or pesticide PLEASE READ THE LABEL THOROUGHLY to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.